If you have a student taking music lessons, I am sure practice is a part of your vocabulary. Afterall, Practice = Progress. Parents, I know you are not the one taking music lessons, but your involvment in practice will only help your child succeed- even if you don't know anything about music!
Helping Your Child Practice (for not-so-musical parents)
If you have a student taking music lessons, I am sure practice is a part of your vocabulary. Afterall, Practice = Progress. Parents, I know you are not the one taking music lessons, but your involvment in practice will only help your child succeed- even if you don’t know anything about music!
How can you help? Check the three examples below for ideas:
1. Question Based Practice. Ask your child about their pieces. Have them tell you the hardest part of the song. Have them show you how to play a note, a measure, a phrase. Allowing your child to “play” teacher makes the practice session less like work and more fun! Check out this page of other question examples that you can use with your child.
2. Encourage “Noise”. What may seem like mindless noise or banging on the piano, is actually helping your child learn. This is when your child is making important musical connections. Being able to freely express themselves on the piano will also help your child gain self confidence and turn practice into a creative outlet. This “noise” may also lead to creative compositions later in lessons!
3. Problem Solve. Work together with your child if they get “stuck”. Look for clues in the book and in teacher’s notes. Have them revisit older material to help solve potential problems. Keep in contact with your child’s teacher to ask questions when needed. And if none of these tactics solve your child’s question, encourage your child to create their own solution!
These three tactics are sure to help any parent encourage healthy practice habits for their children and ensure their continued musical progress!
If you are in need of a teacher for your musical child, contact us!
- brentwood guitar lessons
- brentwood music lessons
- brentwood piano lessons
- brentwood tn piano lessons
- emily lowe's music star studios
- find music teacher in brentwood
- find music teacher in nashville
- music star studios
- nashville tn music lessons
- nashville tn piano teacher
- piano lessons nashville tn
- practice motivation